Thursday, August 30, 2012

Votes


I'm trying to make decisions about how to design my dining room. I know what color I want to paint the wall, how I want to stain the table and chairs, the approximate shade I want to paint my concrete floor, and a basic idea of the fabric that I want to upholster the seats in.

(current state of dining room)

I know i want some shade of red/rust color, but I don't want it to be solid. I also know that I'd like some lightness in the fabric because the room, overall, is dark. I'm loving ikat prints lately and I think this could be a great place to incorporate one into my home. And I can totally find this exact fabric I'm describing everywhere if I'm willing to pay $20/yard for it... however, I am not.

I found this fabric for $8 and some change on Amazon and I'm strongly considering. However I'm not in love (but I think I could learn to love it), and I've had some negative feedback from a couple people. SO I need more people to tell me what to do.



Today I came home and spent way too much time on Photoshop making a really poor rendering of my ideas together instead of dusting my house. How do you feel about the fabric on my seat cushions (and/or everything else in the room)?


2 comments:

  1. I say never convince yourself to like something. In the long run you may end up spending double anyways when you do come across the look you wish you had done in the first place. At I know that has happened to me a lot in the past. I find something I like and because I really want to finish a project I will just settle and buy it so I can have that satisfaction of getting it done. Only later to find the thing/or look that I really was going for. You have to look at it every day and it should reflect your style and what you love, not what you almost like. 20$ a yard isn't fun to spend but for upholstery and especially small surfaces like the seat of a chair or throw pillows I have found that is a super typical price to pay. Stinks.. but it is an investment in something that will be around for a long time. Not like a cheap shirt that you settled on because it was a good deal and pretty cute but now you are sick of. That said I do realy like the Ikat idea alot! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have great taste, and you would never do something hideous to your home. So, my advice: weigh the cost of the fabric you LOVE against the affordability of the fabric you could come to love, and if affordability wins out, then go with it. And if you think you love the pricey fabric more than you can ever come to like the other stuff then make some budget adjustments for the month and GO FOR IT. In the end, you'll have to sit on/look at those chairs for a long time. So, it's worth the investment if it's going to make a big difference in your happiness :)

    ReplyDelete