Monday, January 28, 2013

Heritage



I come from a family of artists. If you go to my Grandpa's house the walls are filled with artwork from his mother, aunts, grandparents. As well as art from my grandma's mother, aunt's, uncles, grandparents, and great-grandparents. 

My Grandpa originally went to school to become an architect. The other day I was at his house and asked to see some of his drawings. Of course I stole them and took them home with me so I could make copies to frame and put on my walls. Although I'm not as great of an artist as my grandpa... I do like to think that there are similarities in our style. (I'm the type of person who likes to think that pretty much every trait or thought is inherited.) 

When I took Drawing and Rendering classes in college my teacher pointed out that my best work was done when I used more loose lines (okay, scribbles) instead of trying to draw or shade with super linear liners. Although my grandpa's architectural drawings kind of have to be super linear, I noticed that there are scribbles in his shading and detailing.  





Here are my scribbles. It's just more fun to scribble. 




This is the type of thing my grandpa likes to draw now when he's bored in church. He explained to me that he starts by drawing some kind of line or scribble, and then adds on to it as he feels until it turns into something. He's pretty cool, my grandpa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment